Mar 7, 2011

Bravery

Confession time: in case you don't know... I'm a super big nerd.  I love mythological creatures.  I think that dragons really existed.  I daydream about seeing (or being) a mermaid.  I believed in Santa Claus till I was twelve.  And I love a good science-fictiony book. (I would say "fantasy book"... but that would conjure up all kinds of unsavory images).
Phew.  With that confession out of the way, I can move on.
I am re-reading Chronicles of Narnia for the billionth time (all out of order.  C.S. Lewis would probably scold me.  I started with The Voyage of the Dawn Treader because I was so peeved by the most recent movie that I just simply HAD to read it to make sure that the book was no where near that bad.  Thankfully, it was as wonderful as I remembered - and was just unfortunately hacked to bits by Disney.)(See what I mean?  N-E-R-D.)  This time around, I am realizing more and more that these beautiful books are all about bravery.
One of my favorite quotes from "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" is:

"Peter did not feel very brave; indeed, he felt he was going to be sick.  
But that made no difference to what he had to do.  
He rushed straight up to the monster and aimed a slash of his sword at its side."

I always thought that bravery was feeling victorious and pumped up.  But the older I get, the more I realize that most of the time, we don't feel brave.  That, however, doesn't change the fact that we must act.  
Because if we don't act, we'll miss our adventure.  And then we won't have any good stories.  And where's the fun in that?  I'll tell you... nowhere.


4 comments:

April said...

This post lit a lightbulb above my head just when I needed it. Thanks, chica! You are wise : )

Markie said...

Thank you, lady!
I'm glad that I could help :)

Also, thank you for commenting on my blogs. It makes me feel like people may actually read them!

April said...

No prob! You always write about stuff I love to read/talk about : )

Ashley said...

I love that you are a nerd! Keep it up, you are amazing!

Post a Comment