Mar 30, 2011

Treehugger

To preface: If you grow up in Oregon, you love trees.  It's just how it works.  If you don't love trees and you live in Oregon, there is probably something wrong with your head.

I wanted a tree house so badly when I was little.  But not so much the kind of tree house that you play in... more like one that you live in.  All the time.  I think I must have been inspired by The Berenstein Bears' home.
In my free time, (you know, when I wasn't doing the important things like watching Power Rangers and Animaniacs) I would draw what I wanted my tree house to look like.  It was always 10 stories high and cut in half, so you could see all the furnishings inside.  It always had one room per floor.  It also had winding staircases, a large kitchen (on the first floor, of course.  Who wants to carry all those groceries up ten flights of stairs?!) a fireplace (probably not such a good idea), a chandelier, and an attic full of dress up clothes.  And there it was, in all its ten story glory, hanging out in a forest canopy.

Well... recently I found out that apparently (at least part of) my dream wasn't so crazy.  About a year ago, I stumbled upon TreeHouse Workshop which specializes in making houses.  In trees.  For adults.

To quote Liz Lemon "I want to go to there."







View their portfolio to see more amazing tree houses

2 comments:

April said...

In all seriousness, I hope your tree house gets built one day! I'll draw up the construction documents for it : )

Speaking of construction documents... these TreeHouse folk are located in Washington, huh? Time to start talking Jason in to moving north a few hundred miles for my dream job.

Markie said...

I would LOVE if you drew up the construction documents for my tree house! Can you make it 10 stories high, on the top of the tippy tippy top of a tree? ;)

You should seriously do it. If I was an architect, I totally would. I can think of no job more amazing than building livable tree houses for adults who never had their tree house dream fulfilled as a child!

Post a Comment